Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Business As Usual

On September 19, ninety-ish members of the Oakland, California stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints met with Elder Marlin K. Jensen, a general authority often thought of as somewhat liberal (comparatively speaking). President Dean Criddle of the Stake had invited Jensen to attend the meeting held during the stake conference weekend. 

In this meeting, several Mormons/SGAttracted individuals were given the opportunity to speak from the microphone. Many expressed their love for their religion, as well as pain they feel was caused by the LDS Church and it's attitude toward homosexuals.  From the pulpit, these church members spoke of years of prayers and fasting as well as attempts at heterosexual marriages they thought would be a “cure” them of homosexual desires.

Elder Jensen was visually emotional, shedding tears as he listened. At the conclusion of the meeting, he stood and apologized for the pain he was witnessing.  According to one in attendance, Elder Jensen stated “To the full extent of my capacity, I say that I am sorry... I know that many very good people have been deeply hurt, and I know that the Lord expects better of us.”

It was neither an apology for the recent California Proposition 8, nor was it indicative of any policy change for the Mormon church.  What it was was kind and caring. 

Carol Lynn Pearson (yes, that CLP), the Mormon advocate in attendance at the Oakland meeting, observes:  "I think the people who didn’t see [Proposition 8] as a problem then are now in two groups: those who still don’t see it as a problem, and those who say, ‘Wait a minute. What did we just do? Why did we do it? Why is my neighbor so cold to me? Why am I still looked at differently at work? I thought this would just blow over. Is there something here I haven’t thought about?’ And those who experienced it as a significant problem two years ago still experience it as a significant problem. A problem that to many is even exacerbated because the church wants to just do Business As Usual. I know plenty of LDS people who are in no mood to do Business As Usual."

So what is the business we as Mormons are in?  What does the world perceive our business as usual stance to be?  Are we considered to be judgmental and standoff-ish? Even more important than perception, are we actually judgemental and stand-off-ish? 

Regardless of political stance, our business should be to take care of people.  That is what we as members of the church have always done - regardless of others politics, social stances or status, or financial contributions.  Caring, giving, loving is what the Church does best.

Now we are being asked to do more.  It is no longer sufficient to simply sign the checks and spend time at the cannery.  We are being asked to live as Christ would.  To treat people as people and not votes or outsiders.

Can we do this and support the General Authorities and policies and procedures?  Are the policies and procedures conducive to Christianity?

Regardless of the answer, we have work to do.

Original News Article

2 comments:

  1. I never know where the line is - the one between following my heart and following the church. I want to do both and I need to find a way. Thanks for letting me know you are writing now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am commeted to follow the prophet and find a way to treat people as I would want to be treated. So tomorrow I am going to the temple, and then I am going to buy all my gay friends a pepsi.

    ReplyDelete