Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Day After The World Blew Up

Elder Packer asked the same question this last Sunday in conference that I have asked myself. Where he asked it from a pulpit, I have asked it from on my knees - time and time again. “Why would Heavenly Father do that to anyone?”. More specifically when I ask the Lord, it is "why would’st thou do this to me?

I figured that I did some fence sitting in the pre-existence. Isn't that why the blacks weren't given the priesthood until Spencer W asked the Lord? I hear now that that line of thought was mistaken, but is there a splinter of truth from the plank that was used to beat them up with?

Maybe I was used for a bet - like Heavenly Father and the devil used Job for. If that is the case, who is going to lose a Franklin because I either pull out of it alive or succumbed.  Almost sounds like Zeus and whoever he was arguing with -probably Poseidon. in  petty argument. 

Maybe my grandfather upset some cosmic Carma Coffer and he was rude to her so she laid a little spell on him right there on his first grandchild that he would be a happy hairdresser.

I don’t think anyone wanted to be straight more than I did growing up. I was entranced by men and older boys. I caught sight of my well endowed cousin while he was life-guarding a pool, and I thought I had seen god. That is what a real man looked like,and I so wanted to be a real man. I followed him around most of the summer hopping that some small bit of him would rub off on me. At night he sat on his bed in his whites and I thought I owned the world.

For me it was always guys. It was never girls. And I figured out that I was wrong.
Why the Lord would do this to anyone is certainly the right question to be asking ourselves. There is a better question, however. Along the lines of, why would we treat anyone differently because of sexuality – perceived or otherwise? If I follow the same commandments everyone else is required to follow, Don't I get the same blessings and everyone else?

1 comment:

  1. If you were the one who most wanted to be straight when you grew up, then I was the second, I thought I would die when I went on my mission and had an erection when I met my comp.

    ReplyDelete